Saturday, January 9, 2010

What can I do with this?


This is my first post on this shiny new blog. I have two wonderful, funny kids and a full-time, demanding job that I love. My hobbies are reading and political activism, but then I discovered sewing and am just floored by how much I love this new discovery! About seven years ago, when I was pregnant, my mom gave me a Brother Pacesetter sewing machine because she'd figure it would come in handy. Sadly, I was totally overwhelmed by the machine-iness of it (not to mention recalling how my mother would curse whenever she ran over her finger with a needle while sewing or became frustrated by a pattern). I had taught myself how to crochet and knit, but sewing just seemed to be too complicated and require too much stuff. About a year went by and then my mother died of cancer. More years went by as my kids grew and life got busier and busier. The little gift of domestic love sat in its box, forlorn and neglected.

To honor my mother's memory (hopefully not the sewing and cursing part, though), I hired a sewing teacher and learned to sew. Six months into this obsession, I've made each of my daughter's a quilt top (just the top, mind you, I don't really know where to go from here...), a bunch of cute clothes (mostly skirts), hundreds of personal tissue holders (weirdly useful), a few yoga bags, some messenger bags, and pillowcases/covers--all fun gifts. I would like to make myself a skirt, but am daunted by paper patterns. I generally use free tutorials posted on the web that only require me to cut out rectangles of various sizes and sew them together!

Now I am knee-deep in fabrics that seduced me (I buy fabric first, make plans for it later), which leads me to my big question for you:

Today I found this insanely cute home dec fabric at IKEA ("Annamoa") Check out the other patterns if you have an IKEA near by. I almost passed out when I saw these fairytalesque prints (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/Textiles/10655/). A fox, deer, and squirrel all in one bright, gorgeous pattern? Too fabulous to be true. So of course I bought a yard of this dreamy stuff, but have no idea what to do with it. Any idea what I could do with such a huge, narrative pattern? I really don't want to cut it up and the fabric's too heavy to use it as part of a quilt. My unoriginal idea is to hem the sides and mount it in some way as wall art. Any other ideas, patterns or tutorials to share? Thanks in advance for your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment